Mumbai: BMC plans to demolish ‘dangerous’ buildings in GTB Nagar – ET RealEstate

MUMBAI: The BMC has issued notices to residents of Punjabi Colony in GTB Nagar asking them to move out immediately as the buildings are in dangerous condition and need to be demolished. But many residents are refusing to leave as they don’t have alternate accommodation and cannot afford to pay rent.

The BMC has cut water and electricity supply to some of the buildings marked ‘C1’, meaning they need to be immediately vacated.

Gajanana Bellale, assistant municipal commissioner, F North Ward, said that the BMC, if needed, would use force to vacate the buildings. ”The residents should have either redeveloped their buildings or vacated them already. We can’t provide accommodation to them, it is their responsibility to find one.”

Bellale said the residents had already lost their case in the high court and the Supreme Court and had to leave the premises.

A month ago two of the 25 buildings partially collapsed, which triggered the long-pending eviction issue of the entire colony, Bellale said. According to him, the BMC declared these buildings dangerous four years ago.

When this journalist visited the area, some residents said they suspect the BMC is hand in glove with a developer, who is interested in the redevelopment of the colony – a prime property in Sion Koliwada that is home to 1,219 families.

Developer Vijay Lakhani, who is interested in the redevelopment of the 25 buildings, confirmed that he was helping the residents complete the legal procedures.

“I have helped 17 housing societies get their names on the property cards. Eight societies still don’t have their names on property cards and I am helping them. I even helped them register cooperative housing societies. If the buildings are demolished then it is not going to serve my purpose,” he told Mumbai Mirror.

Several residents who have accounts with the Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative (PMC) Bank are already struggling financially.

“I used to conduct tuitions and my husband worked as an electrician. We have almost no income since the lockdown. Where will we find another home?” asked Chhaya Vijan, 47, a resident of building number 11.

Indararaj and Lalita Devi have no income. “My husband worked as a priest and that used to bring in some income. Now where will we go?” asked Lalita.

Rakesh Lamba (59), who has diabetes and heart problems, said: ”We knew the building would go for redevelopment one day, but we never thought that the BMC would ask us to vacate it, that forcefully, that too in the middle of a pandemic.”



Source link

BMC resumes demolition of dangerous buildings in Mumbai – ET RealEstate

MUMBAI: After several cases of building collapses this monsoon, the BMC has resumed its drive to vacate and demolish dilapidated buildings. The civic body had halted its crackdown on such buildings in April owing to the pandemic and lockdown.

Civic officials said 443 buildings listed as dilapidated have been marked for demolition by the end of the year. The BMC classifies these as C1 category buildings, meaning they are beyond repair and need to be demolished urgently. Of the 433, 52 are BMC-owned, 27 belong to the state government and 364 are privately owned.

Zone 3, which includes Bandra and Andheri, accounts for 109 of these buildings. Zone 6, which covers Mulund, Ghatkopar and Bhandup, has 105.

In Zone 7, which includes areas such as Borivali, Kandivali and Dahisar, the BMC has already demolished eight of 53 dangerous buildings and evacuated another 14. Officials said the BMC has cut electric and water supply to another 16 buildings in these areas as residents are refusing to vacate them.

L ward has 23 dilapidated buildings, of which seven have been demolished, said Manish Walunj, assistant municipal commissioner of the ward. One of the seven, a ground-plus-twostorey building, was razed on Thursday.

“There was a dispute between the tenants and the landlord and a stay order on the [demolition of] Chakkiwala building on Pipe Road,” said Manish Walunj, assistant municipal commissioner, L ward. “We got the stay vacated and ensured that all residents moved out. Once the stay was vacated, we demolished the building. We are taking action after following due process.”

BMC resumes demolition of dangerous buildings in Mumbai
K-West ward has 46 dilapidated buildings. Of these, 13 have been vacated and the BMC has cut water and electricity supply to 15. “On Thursday we demolished the ground-plus-threestorey Deepavali building,” said Vishwas Mote, assistant municipal commissioner, K-West ward.

“There was a stay on the building’s demolition but we moved the high court and got the stay vacated. Since the building was adjacent to the main road, it was necessary to get it demolished. It was in a terrible condition. The residents had vacated it but the owners of some shops on the ground floor had refused to move out.”

In July, nearly one-third the sixstorey cessed Bhanushali building near Lucky House in Fort collapsed, killing 10 people. On August 27, a 12-year-old girl and a 70-year-old woman succumbed to their injuries at JJ hospital after part of a toilet collapsed in Mishra Building at Shuklaji Street, Byculla.

The same day, a woman sustained serious injuries when part of a building collapsed in Chembur. Also on the same day, a portion of a two-storey house at Gautam Nagar in Deonar caved in. One woman sustained injuries and was admitted to Shatabdi Hospital.



Source link